Great Topics for Your Essay in History
History is an important subject as it reminds us about the successes and failures of the past. There are many historical figures as well from whom we can draw inspiration and learn key lessons about our humanity.
Despite its importance, not everyone is happy studying history. The slew of names, dates, battles, discoveries, and political issues are not always as intriguing as current events. Thus, coming up with a topic for one’s history essay can be a big challenge indeed.
Making a choice
Even if you absolutely dislike history, it still makes sense to select something that is connected to an interest of yours. For example, if you are intrigued by the role of Britain’s monarchy in the 21st century, your essay can focus on their heyday in the past. If you closely follow the conflict in certain parts of the world, your essay can look back on what it was like in the past or perhaps the historical root of that conflict.
There is always something of interest. You just have to spend time looking for it.
Topics to choose from
However, if you have wracked your brain for an idea and still do not have any, then consider some of the following choices for your paper.
Figures from history
- The conquests of Genghis Khan
- The draw of Cleopatra in her time
- The aftermath of JFK’s assassination
- Benjamin Franklin’s contribution to the early American government
- Lessons from Napoleon Bonaparte
- Hero of WW2: FDR
- Hero of WW2: Churchill
- DaVinci’s contribution to history
- The contributions of Charlemagne
- Marco Polo’s contribution to the world
- Malcolm X’s influence on freedom
- King Richard the Lionheart’s conquests
Events in history
- How the spice trade reshaped the world
- The height of the Cold War
- Causes of the Vietnam War
- The independence of India
- The effects of the Crusades on the church
- The spread of Islam to Asia
- How the atomic bomb helped end World War 2
- Life during the Dark Ages
- Major pandemics of the past
- Birth of the Church of England
- Lessons from the Great Depression
- How 9/11 reshaped the world
- Forces behind the Great Wall of China
- Fall of the Incas
- The end of the slave trade in Africa
- The influx of immigrants because of the railroad in the US
- Events leading to the Russian Revolution
- Fall of the USSR
- Formation of the United Nations
- How a man on the moon changed the world
- The end of the Apartheid
- The fall of the Roman Empire
- Expansion of the Ottoman Empire
- Significance of the Magna Carta
- The gladiator games of Rome
Those are just a few possible historical topics to consider for your essay. Select what you believe is most interesting for you or adjust it to fit what you are looking for. Happy writing!